Saturday, December 18, 2021

DELIBERATE PRACTICE AND A FEW OTHER LESSONS FROM OLYMPIANS

 Nicola McDermott, Australian High Jumper won an silver medal at Tokyo Olympics. I happened to see her jumps live and was intrigued with something that you don't often see sportspersons do. She carried her pen and a notebook during her event and after every jump, she was seen scribbling something on paper.


She developed the habit of ranking different aspects of her high jump efforts and focus on improving just one aspect (e.g. take-off or landing or acceleration etc.) in the next jump.

She says “My rating system is objective rather than subjective. That helps me detach the emotion from it all. It focuses me on action – what do I need to do next."

Nicola's way of achieving mastery in her chosen field was via a method called as Deliberate Practice. It refers to a special type of practice that is purposeful and systematic.

Can you use Deliberate Practice to improve yourself at work ?

In it's raw form, it is about methodically breaking the expertse area down into chunks and figuring out a way to master each section. Read this https://bit.ly/3BaV6Gm to know how Andrew Ng used Deliberate Practice to improve his presentation skills.

While embracing Deliberate Practice, Nicole also exhibited her beginner's mindset at the world biggest sporting stage.
What are some of the other lessons you can learn from Olympians ?

Romeen Sheth in his timeless twitter thread https://bit.ly/38wdTjn delayered the mindset of Apolo Anton Ohno (8X Olympic medalist at speed skating) and brings forward some of the mysteries about what makes an Olympic champion. I thoroughly enjoyed sketching the summary of this one.
My favorite point (among these):

Mental health is a compass of 4 key pillars

- Mind: How am I thinking?
- Body: Am I moving enough?
- Nutrition: Am I eating well?
- Sleep: Am I recharged?

Congruence of these 4 factors drives mental health.

What is your favorite among these learnings (in the sketch) ?

#leadership #mentalhealth #practice




No comments: