Sunday, May 19, 2019

Express gratitude for what you have than regretting what you lost


I started running in late 2007. I remember my first running event was a 7 km run Bangalore, which I managed to finish huffing and puffing. That start, though not perfect, gave me the mental fuel and focus to sustain and make running a part of my life.

In May 2008, I ran my first 10 Km run in an event called as Sunfeast 10 k run. I remember to have received a completion certificate (yes, there were no medals then) for this feat. A successful finish in this run really kicked off a series that I managed to stretch for long. From 2008 till 2018, I ran 11 consecutive editions of this run. In between this phase, I gradually built the strength, stamina and hunger to run longer distances, up to 100km a few times and full marathons 15+ times.


If my memory serves me right, I think post 2011 the sponsor of this run was changed to TCS (from Sunfeast) but what didn't change was my participation in this run. Year after year, for 11 years my routine was almost ritualistic. I prepared in the months leading to this run and enjoyed the phase. I take immense pride in all the efforts I managed to put in towards accomplishing strong finishes.

So what happened now ?

Due to unavoidable priorities that came up this year, this sequence is getting broken. In 2019, I won't be able to participate in this run- for the first time in 12 years!

How would you feel when faced with an event like this? Obviously, disappointed and distraught. And this is what I am feeling right now. Having to forego such an outstanding sequence is not something I desired for, planned for or am happy with but I am having to face with this situation nonetheless.

All said and done, I do believe that I cannot control how I feel but I could control my reaction to that feeling. Being humans, our feelings simply come unannounced and that's one of the things that makes life such a mystery. But life does render a bit of control back to us. The reaction to life's situations and events are firmly within our control.

When I thought about it, I really had two choices:
1. I feel disappointed and just let that disappointment control me and my reactions.
2. I accept disappointment but I choose to be grateful for the fact that I could do 11 consecutive years despite the uncertainty in schedules and all the responsibilities that comes with a package called life.

I might or might not be able to emulate this sequence again but I am extremely proud of last 11 years of participating in this event. I am thankful for everything that lead me to this. From being a non-runner in 2007 to now has been a journey I would cherish, no matter what I do or cannot do in future.


I am still learning to be thankful of what i have especially during the unfavorable situations that life throws at you. I feel better making this choice today.


No comments: