Sunday, August 15, 2021

HOW TO BE MISERABLE ?

 

This title may seem inverted but this is not a clickbait. It is in fact, associated with a powerful mental model. Let me explain.


Warren Buffett once famously said “All I want to know is where I’m going to die, so I’ll never go there.”
This quote is, in a manner of speaking, the foundation of an underrated, yet powerful mental model called as 'Inverse Thinking'.

Thinking about a problem from an inverse perspective can unlock new solutions and strategies. As cited in the book 'Super Thinking'-
"The inverse of being right more is being wrong less."

You can achieve project success by thinking "what would make it successful" or by simply avoiding "what would cause the project to fail" (or both).
A Tennis player can win a match by hitting winners or simply by avoiding unforced errors (or both).

Shane Parrish explains Inversion as "Avoiding stupidity is easier than seeking brilliance." In practice, it means spending less time trying to be brilliant and more time trying to avoid obvious stupidity. 

So, if you want to feel less miserable, applying inverse thinking, try and avoid things that would make you more miserable. Check my Sketchnote based on this thread https://bit.ly/3eWwTdB with some good ideas.

Where else can you apply inverse thinking ?

My Sketchnote:


My LinkedIn Post:


No comments: